If you could drive any car in the world, what would it be?
A flashy sports car? A luxury sedan? Or maybe the latest electric car?
Whether you’re a learner driver or have been driving for what seems like a lifetime; many of us are guilty of spending countless hours searching online for our dream motor!
We recently set out to discover the most desired car brands around the world by analysing Google search data from the past 12 months; which brands are the most searched in 2018?
While some brands such as Toyota, Honda and Ford proved to be popular right around the globe, we also came across a few surprises!
Check out the map below to see the most searched for car brand in each country around the world:
- Toyota dominates the map, as the most searched brand in 57 of the 171 countries we looked at, with BMW leading 25 countries and Mercedes-Benz 23.
- Toyota was also the most searched globally with 7.8m searches per month, followed by Honda (7m) and Ford (6.4m).
- While the majority of countries search for the cars that they’re likely to actually buy, 12 countries around the world conduct more searches for the luxury sport car brand Lamborghini, than any other.
- Seven countries have embraced Elon Musk’s eco-friendly alternative, with Tesla their most searched brand (including Norway, the Netherlands and Hong Kong).
- Just five countries searched the most for a car brand founded in their own country (France – Renault, Germany – Mercedes-Benz, India – Maruti Sazuki, Malaysia – Perodua and Sweden – Volvo).
We used the Keyword Explorer Tool at ahrefs.com to find the average monthly Google search volume for 42 of the world’s most popular car brands across 171 countries, excluding a small number for which search data was unavailable.
The ahrefs.com Keyword Explorer data was utilised over Google Ads’ Keyword Planner due to the fact that the tool showcases much more accurate search volumes than those in Google Keyword Planner.
Ahrefs.com’s search volume data that has been collected from clickstream is paired with existing search volume data (from Google Keyword Planner) on a model that gives a very accurate search volume for almost any keyword.
All data and search volumes can be found here.